Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bad Hair Day Updos - The "Holly" Step-By-Step

The fact is, having a great hair day can mean having a great day, period. It's amazing how different my mood is when my hair looks great.

Luckily, thanks to my "hair transformation," I don't have many bad hair days anymore, but when I do, I find that wearing my hair up is the answer. I've discovered and adapted so many great, easy updos that I actually wear it up on good days too!

One of my favorite updos is one I call "The Holly" (because it reminds me of Audrey Hepburn's Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"). I wore for the first time in a while this week, and almost every woman I came across wanted to know how I did it. They were worried that it was really hard but it's actually easy – and once you've got the hang of it, you can even do it without a mirror.

Below are step-by-step instructions (text, pics and video) so you can do it yourself.

If you like what you see, subscribe to the biweekly Dream Hair Secret "Free-zine," which includes step-by-step instructions for one updo per issue, in addition to other articles and hair tips. It's FREE so just sign up here:

Subscribe to The Dream Hair Secret "Free-Zine"




The Holly:

For long hair (at least shoulder-length). Video instructions at the end.








What you need:

  • An elastic band, the kind with no metal parts and that doesn't damage your hair
  • A comb fastener, like one of these below. If there's a detail or decoration on the top, even better as it will show.


Step one (see below): Gather your hair into a high ponytail - but on the very last loop (usually of two or three), don't pull your hair all the way through. Instead, pull partway through, enough so that a "roll" is created, and the ends of your ponytail are sticking out of the bottom. You want the roll itself to be neat and smooth, don't worry about the ends yet. Pull the sides a little to tighten, if necessary.





Step two (below): Take those ends that are sticking out, and tuck them through the side of the roll, so that they are nesting inside. You might have to take start over at this point, once you realize how much hair you need to nest inside the roll (because I have layers, I leave about 1/3 of the hair hanging out the back to tuck into the roll).

















Step three (below):
Now take your hair comb and insert it – upside down and back to front – into the top of the roll. Upside down so that the backside of the comb is facing the ceiling and the front side is towards the floor. When you insert the comb, be sure to insert the teeth of the comb above the elastic, not through it or underneath it. I usually have to stab a few times to get the right amount of hair and get the teeth in the right place before flipping (next step).



Step four (see right and below): Now, with the teeth of the comb in place, slowly rotate the comb over the top of the head, which will make the entire roll move up and forward and the teeth are now straight up and down. Then stick it in straight down, against your head. This might take some practice (I suggest watching the video). I often have to do this a few times to find the "sweet spot" for where to stick the comb into.





Step five: Adjust!! I usually have to reinsert the comb 2 or 3 times to get the right height and the right tightness. If I grab too much hair in the roll, then it hurts. Too little and it either doesn't hold the roll or looks messy.



Variations:
  • Pulling more or less hair through the elastic when you create the roll will create a bigger or smaller hairdo.
  • Instead of using the comb, take a pretty butterfly clip (I have some with crystals) and clip it onto the back/bottom of the hairdo to "push it up" and hold it in place.
  • Try it with your hair slicked back and hairspray for a formal event
  • Use tiny butterfly clips to decorate – they can also help if you have hair that falls down the back of the 'do.
Below is the video version:



For more great free & fun hair info, subscribe to the biweekly Dream Hair Secret "Free-zine." Sign up below. I'll never rent, sell or trade your email to any other company, individual or organization, promise. I hate spam as much as you do.


Subscribe to The Dream Hair Secret "Free-Zine"



Let me know how it goes, and post pictures of your variations on The Holly if you like. If they're good, I might them in my upcoming book – with your permission and credit, of course!

Have a Dream Hair Day,

Michelle

No comments: